Wednesday 25 May 2011

Hailstones at the end of May!!

Well, one of yesterday's walks was interesting to say the least!  I had been avoiding the woods as the weather has been so awful so, coward that I am, decided to stay in open countryside for the walks! The wind had died down quite considerably yesterday so I decided to re-visit the woods - out of all the walks, this appears to be the dogs' favourite - lots of lovely smells and great fun for hide and seek - yes I'm ashamed to admit it but we do play it!  I do get some odd looks from other walkers.
Off we went and when we got into the woods, the landscape had changed massively since a few days back.  The tracks were absolutely carpeted with small branches and leaves, and many trees had bitten the dust, literally.  Quite a few of the damaged ones still up-standing but creaking ominously! The dogs loved it as there were so many more additions to the normal obstacle course - not so good for my old legs though!!
We had been cavorting about in the woods for about half an hour when, without warning, we were pelted by hailstones - it felt like they were the size of golf balls! One of the dogs I had with me - Hector the Doodle - ended up looking like he had a really bad case of dandruff  because of all the hailstones snagged in  his woolly coat - this was topped off  with a lovely layer of Mayflower as he careered in and out the bushes and trees! We all had great fun though and that's what it's all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment